James is founder and Principal Consultant of Conscious Group Inc. of Toronto, Canada. He provides business consulting services in the areas of maintenance and reliability, strategy, process improvement, executive / management coaching, change management and general client advisory. He is a Certified Management Consultant and a licensed Professional Engineer, author of several books, former member of the Aladon (RCM2) Network Governance Council, and honours graduate of the University of Toronto in Mechanical Engineering. James carried out post graduate studies at the Royal Naval Engineering College in the UK, the Technical University of Nova Scotia, Dalhousie University and York University. James has over 43 years of hands-on experience in engineering, operations, maintenance and asset management and management consulting.
His experience includes:
- Plant, fleet and facility maintenance management,
- Physical Asset Management improvement strategy development and implementation,
- Asset Management (PAS 55, ISO 5500x)
- Reliability Centred Maintenance (Aladon RCM2 Practitioner and RCM-R® Master Black Belt)
- Reliability management and engineering,
- Spares and operating supplies determination and inventory management,
- Life cycle costing, management and analysis,
- Strategic diagnostic assessments,
- Benchmarking for best practices,
- Maintenance and materials management process redesign,
- Enterprise Asset Management systems,
- Teaching and writing on Physical Asset Management.
James has held several positions, including Associate Partner for the Enterprise Asset Management consulting practice of IBM Business Consulting Services (formerly known as PwC Consulting, PricewaterhouseCoopers and Coopers & Lybrand). James was a Marine Engineer in the Canadian Navy, a specialist machinery engineer with Esso (Exxon) Chemicals in Canada, Maintenance and Support Planning Manager for the Canadian Patrol Frigate Program, Logistics Support Manager for both Helicopter and Microwave Landing Systems programs and an independent engineering consultant.
James industry experience includes: aerospace, automotive, consumer packaged goods, brewing, chemicals, computers, consumer goods manufacturing, defence, electric power utility (generation, transmission and distribution), facilities management, forest products, gas utilities (transmission and distribution), health care, higher education, logistics & distribution, rail transportation, marine transportation, metals, mining (underground, open pit, surface, ore processing, refining), pharmaceuticals, public transit, water and waste water utilities, oil & gas (upstream and downstream operations), petrochemical, pharmaceutical, postal & courier services and retail distribution.
- University of Toronto – Bachelor of Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering, Honours) 1977
- Royal Navy Engineering College (Marine Engineering Applications)
- Technical University of Nova Scotia (Naval Architecture)
- Dalhousie University (Business Administration)
- C&L / PwC Consulting University
- Professional Engineer (Ontario)
- Certified Management Consultant (Canada)
- Certified Asset Management Assessor (GPiAM)
- Maintenance Management Professional (PEMAC)
- Certified Block Chain Professional (York University)
- Sergio Guy Memorial Award for “outstanding contributions to the profession of maintenance” (PEMAC 2016)
- AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Asset management.
- Maintenance management
- Business process design and improvement.
- Change management.
- Reliability Centred Maintenance
- Reliability Management
- Integrated Logistics Support
- Public Speaking
- Engineering and marine propulsion officer – Canadian Navy. (1977 – 1982)
- Senior machinery engineer – Esso Chemicals Canada. (1982 – 1986)
- Maintenance planning & support manager; Logistics support manager; Engineering manager – Saint John Shipbuilding Ltd. (1986 – 1992)
- General Manager – Saint John Naval Systems Ltd., an engineering firm. (1991 – 1993)
- Independent Consultant – self-employed. (1993 – 1995)
- Senior consultant, manager, principal, director and associate partner – Coopers & Lybrand, PricewaterhouseCoopers, IBM: management consulting. (1995 – 2004)
- President – Conscious Management Incorporated and Conscious Group Inc. (2004 – present)
- Contributing author, Bloch & Geitner, “Practical Machinery Management for Process Plants”, Gulf Publishing, Houston, Texas, 1985 and 3rd edition 2019.
- “Front-end LSA in a Canadian non-defense application”, Logistics Spectrum, Vol. 29, Issue 2, Hyattsville, Maryland, 1995.
- Using a CMMS to support RCM”, Maintenance Technology, Vol. 10, Number 9, Barrington, Illinois, 1997
- “Steps to success for planning projects in industrial manufacturing operations”, Industrial Maintenance and Plant Operations, contributor, Radnor, Pennsylvania, 1997
- Contributing author, “MRO Handbook, the maintenance spare parts and supplies management handbook”, edited by John Dixon Campbell, Plant Engineering and Maintenance, Clifford/Elliott, 1998.
- “Profit from Plant Asset Management”, Industrial Automation Asia, Singapore, Dec 05 / Jan 06 edition.
- Contributing author, “Reliability Handbook – From Downtime to Uptime in No Time”, edited by John Dixon Campbell, Plant Engineering and Maintenance, Clifford/Elliott, 2000.
- Co-Author, “Reliability Centred Maintenance”, Jardine, Campbell, Tsang, Picknell, Hong Kong University, October 2000
- Contributing author, “Maintenance Excellence, Optimizing Asset Life Cycle Decisions”, (chapters 2 and 7) edited by John Dixon Campbell and Dr. A.K.S. Jardine, Marcel Dekker, NY, Jan 2001
- Contributing author, article: “Network Asset Maintenance” in “The Utilities Project, Vol 3., Leadership in a Shifting Market”, Montgomery Research, Inc., 2003.
- Author of “Uptime, Strategies for Excellence in Maintenance Management,” 2nd edition, 2006 and 3rd edition, 2015, Productivity Press, NY, NY. The book is already being used as course text for engineers and maintenance managers around the world.
- Author of “Uptime Made Easy – Workbook,” 2009, Lulu.com.
- Author of “ISO 55000, what’s not to like?” 2016, Conscious Group Inc.
- Co-author with Uri Wittenberg of “No Surprises – the Conscious Capital Asset Framework”, 2016, Conscious Group Inc.
- Co-author with Jesus Sifonte of “RCM-R Reliability Centered Maintenance – Reengineered” , 2017, Productivity Press, NY
- Author, “Paying Your Way – Improving Performance Through Uptime”, 2020, Conscious Group Inc.
- Author, “Basic Reliability Management – A Key to High Performance”, 2020, Conscious Group Inc.
- Plant Engineering and Maintenance magazine: regular columnist on “Best Practices,” 2009 to 2015, continuing as contributor to Machinery and Equipment, MRO magazine, 2015 to present.
- MRO, PEM and Resource Engineering and Maintenance magazines (Annex Media): contributing columnist, 2010 to present.
- Control Engineering Asia: contributing author, 2010, 2012
SPEAKING & TEACHING
- Abraman (Maintenance Management
- Acacia Seed (Singapore)
- Association of Brazil).
- Aryana Group (Iran)
- Applied Technology Publications
- Canadian Institute (The…)
- Canadian Institute of Mining
- Energy Central (USA / Canada)
- FDB Singapore
- Federated Press (Canada)
- IMMP (Mexico)
- International Institute for Research (Canada and UAE)
- International Productivity and Quality Center (USA)
- Ivara Corporation (Canada)
- Marcus Evans (Australia, USA)
- NeoEdge (Singapore)
- Noria CMC LATAM (Mexico, Chile, Peru)
- PEMAC (Plant Engineering and Maintenance Association of Canada) – speaking and keynotes at annual MainTrain conferences and certified MMP instructor.
- PMM Ciex Research Center LLC
- Prime Power Diesel Inter-Utilities
- PSDI International (Boston)
- PwC Consulting
- Revere Systems (USA)
- Terrapinn (Singapore, Bangkok)
- University of Toronto (PAM Certificate Course – to 2004, PAM Industry 4.0 2019 to present
Canadian Armed Forces
Naval marine engineer officer, 1977 – 1982
Regular Officer Training Plan, 1974 – 1977
Army Reserve – 48th Highlanders of Canada, 1972 – 1974.
CMC México 2022
Ingeniería, Operaciones y Mantenimiento – Alineando el desempeño de los activos con los objetivos de Producción.
7 – 8 septiembre